HNU Photonics, LLC
- Life Sciences
Contact InformationDan O’Connell 808.214.4699 firstname.lastname@example.org
The Scorpio-V Bio-Chip Space-Lab (BCSL) provides an accessible platform that enables academic and industry researchers to perform long-term automated cell culturing experiments with live-cell imaging in the unique microgravity environment on-board the International Space Station. The Scorpio-V team provides experimental design customization and support to lab users. An identical dedicated BCSL ground station offers pre-experiment testing as well as simultaneous operations.
- Custom microfluidics delivers multiple reagents over discrete
time points for the duration of the experiment.
- Brightfield and Fluorescence Microscopy allows minute-tohour-
to-day-to-month time-course imaging during spaceflight.
- Near real-time data downlinking for researchers to observe
experiments in progress, with the ability to modify protocols.
- Fixed frozen samples returned to investigators for post-processing.
- Automated BCSL experiments can be programmed to
experience microgravity and continuous simulated gravity
(user selectable) for experimental control.
- Accommodates live-cell and frozen-cell launches.
- Provides up to ten experimental stations with
- Customizable microfluidic chips provide versatility for tissue
culture 2-D or 3-D variable volumes.
Long-Term Live-Cell Imaging Capabilities
- Automated imaging system allows phase-contrast, DIC and
- Selectable microscope objectives.
- Selectable wavelengths for fluorescence imaging.
Arrays of selectable dichroic filters and emission filters.
- Automated positioning allows long-term time-course imaging
of all biochips in BCSL at user-defined scan frequency.
Customizable Biochip for Long-Term Space-Based Cell Culture
- Culture chambers maintain cells in a
- Biochip designs accommodate imaging of a 3-D volume
(depth and cell density dependent).
- Each biochip provides isolated chambers with multiple
samples running in parallel.
- Automated sampling of cell media at configurable time-points.
- Each cell-growth chamber can be infused with a single or
multiple drug combinations.
- Internal configuration can be customized to support the
culture of: Adherent cells, cells in suspension, 3-D aggregates
and organoids, organ-on-a-chip.