Oceaneering Space Systems
- Technology Development
Contact InformationCarl Walz 281.228.5395 firstname.lastname@example.org
Oceaneering Space Systems has been a hardware provider to NASA for the Space Shuttle and the International Space Station since 1978. We have developed and delivered thousands of end items to NASA and other prime contractors for intra-vehicular activity (IVA) and extravehicular activity (EVA, or spacewalking). We specialize in turn-key design, development, manufacturing, certification, maintenance, testing, and sustaining engineering of equipment for humans to use in space both inside and outside the spacecraft, and robotic systems for space and biological research applications. We also provide specialized engineering and support services in these areas, and astronaut training in NASA’s Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory and Space Vehicle Mockup Facility.
Oceaneering is an AS 9100C, ISO 9001:2008 Certified facility located just outside the gate at Johnson Space Center in Houston Texas. OSS has over 30,000 square feet of manufacturing, test, assembly and high-bay work areas.
Our capabilities and facilities include: a flight certified precision machine shop, a flight certified “soft goods” shop (sewn products), a Class 300,000 certified clean room, a prototype shop, electronics fabrication and assembly, welding, sheet metal tools, and mechanical system assembly. We work with materials ranging from exotic metal alloys to complex fabrics and composites, and with material processes ranging from anodizing to space qualified dry-film lubricants.
Primary Services Include:
- Project Management to include proposal management, project review support, financial management, project scheduling, risk management.
- System and Payload Safety to include Safety Review Process Phases 0, 1, 2, & 3.
- Space Qualified Hardware design, development, manufacturing, integration and testing of payload facilities and experiments to include requirements definition and development, ICD development, acceptance data packages, environmental test support, verification and validation.
- User and Operations Support during all program phases.
- Crew Training to include IVA and EVA training plans, products and conduct.
- Oceaneering provides ISS-certified hardware to include all EVA tools and crew aids currently in use on the ISS. Oceaneering was a key partner with NASA in the development of the Robonaut 2 humanoid robot, currently on orbit on the ISS. Oceaneering is a partner with Made In Space on their tipping point technology Archinaut project, supplying a robotic arm for operations outside the spacecraft. Oceaneering is developing the hardware for the Materials ISS Experiment—Flight Facility (MISSE-FF) for AlphaSpace, to be deployed on the ISS in 2017.