- Life Sciences
Contact InformationLee Moradi Director of Engineering 205.975.2718 firstname.lastname@example.org
As one of the leading developers and flight system integrators for Biotechnology hardware for use in microgravity and space exploration, The UAB team is an experienced provider of Protein Crystal Growth hardware and integration services having taken multiple flight systems through the approval process. This includes design, analysis, fabrication, assembly, verification and validation, environmental testing, Safety and Toxicology Review, vehicle integration, on-orbit support, and landing recovery. UAB Engineering team can provide turnkey service, including pre and post flight science support, to investigators who wish to fly samples aboard the ISS using UAB provided facilities. UAB Engineering is also the developer and Integrator for MERLIN, Glacier and Polar Cold Stowage facilities as well as several flight proven Protein Crystal Growth experiment systems. Since its inception, the engineering group has performed more than 72 different experiments and has supported over 120 different systems on the Space Shuttle, MIR-Space Station and International Space Station.
Flight Hardware Systems (Approved):
- Hand held High Density Protein Crystal Growth (HDPCG): Small 30-90 vapor diffusion crystal growth device compatible with ISS Cold Stowage facilities.
- Protein Crystallization Facility (PCF): 35-1 ml sample bottles for large volume temperature driven crystal growth. Compatible with ISS Cold Stowage facilities.
- Sample Transport Container (STC): Accommodates approximately 1400 individual liquid/liquid protein crystal growth experiment tubes.
Flight Hardware Systems (Coming Soon):
- Mini Liquid Tray: 10 cryo-vial insulated tray. Similar design to CPCG-HM Liquid tray. Each cryo-vial can hold up to 14 capillaries. 140 capillaries per assembly.
- Blazer Crystallization Tray: For use with COTs 96 well plates. Provides sealing plate so vapor diffusion can be inhibited until assembly reaches orbit.
- 100k class clean room
- Assembly / Test lab
- Prototyping Lab
- Ground Control Engineering Lab
- Metrology capabilities
- In-house machine shop
- AS9100 Quality Management System
- Remote Operations Control Center to support payloads on ISS
- Launch/landing site support
- Crew training
- Payload integration
- Safety and verification documentation/closeout
- Electrical, mechanical and software design and analysis
- Fabrication, assembly, test, and operations
- Real Time Mission operations
- Pre-launch and payload recovery support
- NDAs in place to with both COTs vehicle teams for streamlined integration to and from the ISS
- One of the first Implementation Partners selected under CASIS’s ISS National Lab Program